HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Mentorship

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anna_me
Admin

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Mentorship   Mon May 14, 2007 12:35 pm

Please, add here any of your comments and suggestions on the mentorship scheme.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eaaa-forum.activebb.net
stannn

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: It doesn't seem to work   Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:41 pm

Although the idea of Mentorship comes from students, but it does not seem to work. I am not sure if anyone can actually tell the reason behind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anna_me
Admin

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship   Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:56 am

Of course, we (1st CB) can tell you!
The idea of mentorship scheme came during one of the CB meetings in June 2007. We were able to prepare introduction and initial list of mentor/mentee pairs and to put it for "public consultation", but then all our effort was needed for organization of CB elections and there was no time to further develop mentorship scheme, because it is very time-consuming activity.
What I mean is:
1. List of mentor/mentee should be updated according to the latest changes.
2. Each mentor should be asked for agreement to give his email address to his mentee and to actually particiapte in this scheme.
3. After mentor's agreement, mentor should be introduced to mentee (by email) and mentee will be given basic instructions of how to use mentorship scheme in the most efficient way.
4. Performance and usefullness of the scheme should be monitored by different surveys and poles.
Unfortunately, 1st EAAA Coordination Board didn't have enough time to continue with mentorship scheme and all business was handled over to the 2nd Coordination Board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eaaa-forum.activebb.net
chew_cz

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship   Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:18 pm

In my opinion a mentorship program never works, I had a "mentor" who is a professor in my university in Singapore and theoretically I should be able to go to him for any matters I have while I am in the univerisity. There was a ceremonial meeting of the mentors when I came to know who my mentor was but after the meeting it just never occur to me to go back to him and ask him questions. There are some other mentorship programs in my high school and junior college days but they never worked either. I would rather ask people whom I get along and know .

I think there are just inter personal problems - you can never tell whether a mentor and a mentee(?) gets along

You just cannot assume that if 2 people comes from the same country or same part of the world, they'll get along. It comes down to the individual. Also it is just not right because for example person X comes from singapore and Y comes from singapore. But Y wants to go to Barcelona but X has only been to Nice and Newcastle. What is there to mentor about?

I think that if a mentorship program is broader, such that anyone from gen 3 for example can ask anyone from gen 2, it is already a good mentorship program. Sure, some people will get asked more often than another but that just shows that the committment and willingness to communicate. It doesn't mean everyone should have an equal number of questions and equal number of mentees(?). As long as all the names of the gen 2 people (for example) are in the list of available mentors, it is free for all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship   

Back to top Go down

Mentorship
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: EuroAquae Alumni Association :: News, ongoing events, activites and services-
Jump to: