HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Chuah Yew Pin, Stanley

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stannn

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Chuah Yew Pin, Stanley   Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:40 am

I am Stanley Chuah, running as a candidate for the post Secretary of the EuroAquae Alumni Aassociation.

Alumni refer to a community that is formed with a group of graduates to distribute bulletins and to carry out discussions for the students of previous, current and future generation. Hence, this alumnus is important for each of us to share some experience and to guide those who need help.

Other than that, EAAA can be used for reminiscing about one's student life usually brings back bittersweet memories, making us wonder about the situation of our alma mater, the whereabouts of our friends and lecturers.

Hence, we are now working on and heading to the right direction to foster closer relationship between Euro-Aquae and graduates of Euro-Aquae. The main motive of EAAA is to afford to its members, means of social interaction, mutual cooperation, assistance and networking. This is also to promote the furtherance of the interest and prosperity of Euro-Aquae and of its past and present students.

I believe this election is not about chasing the posts that available for personal benefit but it is to enable its members to update themselves on developments within EAAA. That is why EAAA was set up with a membership directory with the functions of providing job opportunities through the Euro-Aquae Website.

We are going to participate actively in order to organize events / activities that will help to realize the aims and objectives of the Alumni. From what have proposed from our friends, EAAA is going to be used to guide the next generation students and it is going to be a great tool for every one of us.

In future, this tool can be also utilized to arrange meetings, discussions and conventions and to encourage the active participation of members in the common interest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anna_me
Admin

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Chuah Yew Pin, Stanley   Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:54 pm

You can see Stanley's CV here.
You can watch Stanley's promo-movie here.
You can also watch common candidates' video here.

Last edited by on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eaaa-forum.activebb.net
Anna_me
Admin

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Chuah Yew Pin, Stanley   Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:58 am

Hi,
I have two questions:

1. One of the main issues in EAAA is to involve alumni into the common
activities. After graduation, usually people are very busy with their
career and do not have time for this kind of things. What are your
suggestion (feasible) to improve the situation?

2. What do you think about PhD career after EuroAquae? Is the course
suitable for this? As we all know, the directions of this master is
to work in the industry, and this is clearly stated. So, do you think there
is something to be done to change the situation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eaaa-forum.activebb.net
stannn

PostSubject: Re: Chuah Yew Pin, Stanley   Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:51 pm

1. One of the main issues in EAAA is to involve alumni into the common
activities. After graduation, usually people are very busy with their
career and do not have time for this kind of things. What are your
suggestion (feasible) to improve the situation?

Before stating the suggestion of improving the participation of the alumni, we need to know the reason behind which causes the problem.

Problem:
First of all, lack of awareness of the present of EAAA and the main motive of the EAAA are the main reasons that cause the inactive of the alumni. As from our experience, we only aware of the present and the goals of EAAA after the Hydro Conference that held in Nice, France in 2006 (which is only to our batch,2006-2008) because of the conference where everybody met. From there only we know the main purposes of the EAAA and the benefits that all graduates can get. What about the other batches? Some of them do not know the forum consists of many sections which might help them in future due to the miscommunication, for example: PhD opportunities that posted, Study Trip and others.

Suggestion to above problem:
I suggest that right after the selection of the candidates, we have to get the list of contacts from Nice and email to them and state the benefits that they can get before the departure to the respective locations like what we are trying to do this year. Mainly we have to educate all graduates the importance of this tool that can help us to go beyond what is expected. What we can improve is create awareness about EAAA more deeply like:

i. The goals of EAAA
ii. Explain how it works
iii. What kind of information that graduates can obtain from there
iv. Why should everyone be active in the EAAA
v. How it can help in your future career
vi. Experience sharing etc.

From only my point of view, we cannot really know the other reasons behind. Hence, I suggest that survey application with newsletter should be passed around to all graduates of Euro-Aquae course in person, with the assistant of people who are really sincere (not email as many will ignore those survey). From the survey form, only we can understand the causes of the problem.

Other features that can be added:

i. Online lecture sample file to be viewed
ii. Enhance photo gallery that might be useful to experience sharing and projects sharing

Last edited by on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stannn

PostSubject: Re: Chuah Yew Pin, Stanley   Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:52 pm

2. What do you think about PhD career after EuroAquae? Is the course
suitable for this? As we all know, the directions of this master is
to work in the industry, and this is clearly stated. So, do you think there
is something to be done to change the situation?

PhD career after EuroAquae, that is not a main issue to me as from the past study and working experience. It is not the matter if this course is suitable for PhD career or any other field; it depends on his or her “iron will” and interest to PhD career.

My background is Mechanical Engineering but I manage to study EuroAquae and learn something that I have never encountered before. I have to learn everything from zero and that is challenging to me, but with my determination, I know I can go through this and I know nothing is impossible. As what people say action is what unites every great success. Action is what produces results. Knowledge is only potential power until it comes into the hands of someone who knows how to get himself to take effective action.

If one wants to continue for his or her PhD career, this master can be a great stepping stone to go for it as what we can see from our previous batch students, some of them have already made their decision and chasing their dreams in the PhD career path. Well, successful people’s lives have shown us over and over again that the quality of our lives is determined not by what happens to us, but rather by what we do about what happens.

Hence, I do not think there is something should be done to change the situation, what is needed to be changed is the personal will that matters.

Last edited by on Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keiko
Elections administrator

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Chuah Yew Pin, Stanley   Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:40 am

Well well well...
Few people are asking questions to the candidates... What a Face
So, I will post a comment! Basketball

I saw that some candidates are talking in the campaign.. something like..
"Well, thank you very much for the 1st generation for the effort to establish this EAAA. Now it is our turn to develop more this for the next coming generation."

I feel that this is a bit strange.
EAAA is not something to be "inherited" from a generation to generation.
Maybe because there are no candidate for the 2nd CB (except Anna as a former president), and some people thinks that this year G2 and G3 will work for EAAA and G4 and G5 will work for it two years later.
But this is not the idea, I think.
Of course, younger generation knows the real-time situation of EA much better than older generation. So it would be very important to involve new graduates in CB.
Its activity must always involves all generations and the CB members are from all generation. cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chuah Yew Pin, Stanley   

Back to top Go down

Chuah Yew Pin, Stanley
Page 1 of 1